Tuesday, October 08, 2013

6th Grade Field Trip

Brinley and I went on a Field trip the the Utah County Sheriffs....place.  I forget what its called and I'm too lazy to look it up.  Anyway, it WAS AWESOME! 
Our first station was the Bomb Squad where we learned about this little guy.  The price tag on him is a measly $250,000.  He is used to find bombs and pretty much do whatever the guy in the van can make him to with his remote. 

Then we met Aries.  The Bomb Sniffing Dog.  They took us out and showed us what she does when she finds a bomb (She lays down by it). 

Next we went to the SWAT Station.  I think Ill work here when I grow up.  They said its much safer than being a police officer on the street.  So that sold me.  ;) 
Plus, who doesn't want to use one of these to bust down a door! 
In the SWAT vehicle


This is the Woodland Fire Truck.  They take these into the mountains to fight wildfires.  I think he said it has a 2000 gallon tank and the kids had a good time playing with the controls that aim the water. 
The Tires on this truck are super cheap.  They deflate and inflate as needed for the terrain as they drive.  You, too,  can get them for a mere $3000 each and I'm pretty sure they sell them at Costco.

You can almost see Brinley in the back of this picture to the right.  Almost. 
Next Stop was Search and Rescue.  These guys had just returned from an all nighter  getting a guy out of Payson Canyon.  He started hiking at 11 am. and ended up getting lost.  He didn't have much with him and even less clothes since he thought he would only be gone for a few hours.  They did not expect to find him alive.  But they did.  He had severe hypothermia. He called his mom at about 8 pm and said HELP, right before his phone died.  Could you imagine being that mother?  I hope she slapped him.  After she hugged him.

This is the kids strapping Phoebe to the board.  Poor girl...I could see the fear in her eyes as they carried her around. 
Here is the whole 6th grade.  And once again you can ALMOST see Brinley in the very back with a black hoodie on right by the first metal box..  Almost.  (This girl does not like the be the center of any attention.)

Getting a Picture with the Sheriff.  He's kind of like a celebrity.  I've seen him on TV before. 
After we went to the park and FROZE!!  (oh, and tried to eat our lunch too). 
 
This was one of the funnest/informative field trips Ive been on.  And I tell you what...Ive been on a lot.  I cant wait until the boys get to go.  Hopefully they are still doing it when they are in 6th grade. 
 

No comments: